How To Get New Content Ideas From Google Search Console Data

How to use SanityCheck.io and the data it imports from Google Search Console to get new content ideas that will bring traffic to your site.


Content remains the linchpin of Search Engine Optimization. Writing content that is targetted to keywords in your niche is still the cornerstone to get more visitors to your website from Google.

But what keywords and content to write about?

There are 3 tactics that you can use to come up with new content ideas that get traffic:

  1. Research keywords around your niche and pick a keyword that gets a large number of monthly searches. Create content focusing on that keyword.
  2. See the keywords you are already appearing in Google for but may be not directly targeting.
  3. Write whatever you fancy and see what works. (You can then revert to option 2 to fine tune later.)

In an ideal world you would do all three - but if you want to get the best return for your time and effort I think option 2 is the best bet. You will be targeting a keyword that the site already ranks for - and if you were to create a page focusing on that keyword it would have a great chance of ranking well and getting new traffic.

But how to find them? This is how to do it using the SanityCheck Content Ideas report.

Content Ideas

On the main SanityCheck.io Dashboard click on "...get some new content ideas"

This report uses a number of different methods to uncover keywords your site already appears for, and if you were to directly target them could give you a nice boost in traffic.

There will be a lot of digging through keywords. Some of these you may already be targeting. But you can find some really good keyword and content ideas.

Here are the 4 options for finding ideas, and the theory behind each one...


Click Through Rate below 1%

Theory : a keyword may have a Click Through Rate below 1% if the current page ranking for that keyword does not match what the searcher is looking for.

Find pages that have a low Click Through Rate but a high number of impressions. This report option is ordered by Impressions descending, so the biggest opportunities should appear at the top.

If the page being returned for this keyword isn't related to it - you may get a better Click Through Rate and more clicks by creating a new page that does target it.


Order by position

Theory : find keywords that you rank for - albeit terribly.

If you rank on page 10 for a keyword with a page that doesn't target it, yet it still gets a decent number of impressions - it may be worth targeting that keyword directly.


80/20 rule

Theory : 80% of your sites traffic comes from 20% of keywords

Many websites (but not all!) closely follow the Pareto Principle, where 80% of a sites organic traffic comes from 20% of pages and keywords.

If you remove the top 20% of keywords - you will find keywords that do not have a good click through rate, you do not rank well for, or you do not currently target. Amongst these keywords you may find some content ideas, and also some keywords you are already targeting that could have their ranking and click through rate improved.


80/20 rule reversed

Theory : for larger sites you may want to remove the top 80% of keywords

As another option, this follows a similar approach to the 80/20 rule - except this time it removes the top 80% of keywords, leaving you just the bottom 20%. This option is usually useful if your website gets a particularly large amount of traffic.


Found a keyword idea?

Lets take an example, this is the report for a golf site I am looking after:

We can see here the keyword "Ernie Els swing video".

If we click on the graph icon next to the keyword you can see how you have been ranking for this keyword over a period of time, it also shows the page that is ranking.

If we take a look at this page we can see it does include Ernie Els but it is about his pitching rather than his full golf swing.

So I could create a page that has a video of Ernie Els full golf swing, get a golf professional to do some analysis of it for me - and get it up on the site. I am quite confident that as the site already ranks well for "Ernie Els swing video" - if we create a page targeting this keyword it will rank well.

SanityCheck.io can also help us with the type of content we should add onto the page. If we click on our keyword "Ernie Els golf swing" - we will be taken to a page that pulls data from the Google feature "People also searched for" and "Related Searches" sections.

By making sure we cover these topic, and even directly answering questions such as "Ernie Els swing tempo" and "How fast does Ernie Els swing?" - there is more chance of Google rating the quality of your page highly and you appearing high up in the search results.

© 2017 - SanityCheck.IO